Friday, July 3, 2015

Easy Pea-sy Tofu Scramble!


I clearly remember the first tofu scramble I ever made...it was the worst!  Years of trial and error have taught me that a tofu scramble CAN have great taste and texture.  I think the secret is to make sure you have firm, drained tofu and a good non-stick pan! I've found that Soy-Boy and Trader Joe's brand tofu works the best for me.  I don't even have to press the tofu!

Tofu Scramble with Herb Potatoes and Grits


Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 package extra-firm tofu, drained
  • 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
  • 1/4 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 small bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (adjust amount if using table salt)
  • 1/8 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
  • 2 leaves of kale, chopped
  • 1/3 - 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 - 2 tablespoons of water
Directions:

1) Saute the onions and bell peppers in oil until translucent and a little browned.



2) Add the spices and water.  (I add water to make a gravy of spices.  It coats the tofu much more evenly than if I sprinkle the spices directly on the tofu.)

3) Break up the tofu into medium-sized pieces. Larger pieces are more flavorful than smaller ones.


4) Add tofu to the pan and stir until the tofu is coated with spices.

5) Saute tofu mixture until water has evaporated and tofu starts to brown. I only stir the tofu occasionally. Add the garlic while the tofu is cooking.


6) Add the peas, kale, salt, and apple cider vinegar.  After you add them, cover the pan.  Let the peas and kale steam for a few minutes.  Don't overcook, or the peas will dry out.



7) After the kale and peas have steamed, add the nutritional yeast and stir well.

8) Remove from heat and enjoy!










5 comments:

  1. ¡Love the 'medium size' tofu tip! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I can't wait to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You! Let me know how it turns out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very excited about this new blog and will be trying this recipe for tomorrow morning's breakfast!

    ReplyDelete